Using the Assignments Tool
The Assignments tool allows instructors to create, distribute, collect, and grade online assignments. Assignments are private; student submissions are not visible to other users of the site.
Completing and submitting an assignment
Your instructor may set up assignments for you to complete and submit online. To work on an assignment:
- Open the site for the course or project with the assignment.
- In the Course Tools group, click Assignments.
- Click the name of the assignment to open it.
- To work on the assignment, follow the instructions from your instructor or project leader. You may need to type within the text box, or add an attachment, or both.
- To add an attachment, click Add Attachments in the assignment window.
- If you'd like to see how your assignment will look to your instructor or project leader, click Preview.
- If you want to save your assignment to complete later, click Save Draft at the bottom of the screen. When you want to reopen it, you'll find it listed in the assignment list with a status of "In progress". Note: While your assignment is saved as a draft, your instructor cannot see it. For your instructor to see it, you must submit the assignment.
- When you have finished, click Submit at the bottom of the screen. Note: Don't click Submit until you're certain you're finished with an assignment. Once you click Submit, you'll no longer be able to access the assignment (e.g., to add more text or attachments) unless your instructor returns it to you.
You will receive an email message confirming your submission. If you do not receive a confirmation, check to see if you've successfully submitted the assignment.
Checking a Grade on an Assignment
To check your grade on an assignment:
- Click Assignments under Course Tools category. When the Assignments page appears, you'll see the title of your assignment and information about its status.
- Click the title of the assignment for more details. You'll see when your assignment was graded as well as the original instructions. Your instructor may have added comments to the text that you submitted. If your instructor left additional comments, they will be at the bottom of the page. You may need to scroll down to see them.
In addition, your instructor may have added an attachment (or attachments). You will see these below the instructor comments.
- Click Back to list to return to the Assignments main page.
You may need to take further action (e.g., if your instructor has made suggestions and asked you to resubmit the assignment). After you've done the needed work, you can preview your changes, resubmit your assignment, or save it as a draft.
Back to Using Sakai